Posted: 3:20 pm Saturday, April 12th, 2014

3 thoughts on G-Day, starting with Hutson Mason

By Mark Bradley

The scene at sunny Sanford. (M. Bradley/AJC)

The Saturday scene at sunny Sanford Stadium. (M. Bradley/AJC)

ATHENS – These not-entirely-random thoughts are presented in the wake of G-Day, which was staged Saturday at Sanford Stadium. The Georgia Bulldogs won. The Georgia Bulldogs also lost. Sometimes I crack myself up.

1. Georgia’s new No. 1 quarterback looked like the greatest football player named Hutson since Don. The catch is that there haven’t been many football players so named since Don Hutson was catching Dixie Howell’s passes at Alabama 80 years ago. (For you young ‘uns, Don Hutson was the NFL’s first great split end.) As for Hutson Mason: He did well enough to make you think what Mark Richt said after Aaron Murray was lost to a knee injury in November is  true — that Mason, who spent four seasons waiting his turn, has been ready to start for a while now. Mason completed 18 of 27 passes for 241 yards and a touchdown against the No. 1 defense. He missed on some deep throws, but he hit on enough of them to kindle hope among Bulldog Nation that H. Mason could pull a D.J. Shockley and lead the Bulldogs to an SEC title as a first-year starter.

2. Speaking of the No. 1 defense, it dropped no hints. The spring game isn’t the place for a new defensive coordinator to show his wares. There’s no sense putting anything of substance on tape for Clemson, which will face Georgia here Aug. 30, and if your defenders get really excited and start tackling people hard, Mason or Todd Gurley could get hurt and your season would be blown to bits 4 1/2 months before it begins. Jeremy Pruitt said he wasn’t on scheme so much as fundamentals this spring, and that’s how it looked Saturday. Not that it’s possible to tread water on a grass field, but that’s essentially what the D did.

3. Speaking of Gurley, he appears to have healed from his various ailments. He didn’t touch the ball all that much — six rushes for 32 yards and three catches for 38 more  — but he’s Todd Gurley so he didn’t need to. It was enough for him to skip over and past defenders and turn the corner a time or two. (It was also heartening for Gurley to seemed engaged. Richt had a chat with Gurley this spring and stressed the need to try harder in practice.) Assuming Gurley stays healthy, he’ll enter the 2014 season as the nation’s best tailback. And now a question for y’all: In the Richt era of Georgia football, who’s the best back — Knowshon Moreno or Gurley?

gtcaryd

350, somebody said when you were born the Dr. slapped your mother.

Dawg350

Hallelujah! What a great day to be a Georgia bulldog! We are the greatest state and university in the nation baby!

Snagglepuss March 30, 2014

@ThomasBrown

You don't have to write volumes to prove you have never, and will never, see the big picture (probably the little pictures either) . . .

Also, there is no way you were a "planned child" but rather a sad result of a recreational endeavor!!!!!!!!!!

DawgVoiceofReason March 29, 2014

@FrankFraticelli @ThomasBrown

Frank, You made a great case and I really liked your analogy.  Unfortunately, ThomasBrown will NEVER understand in any real sense, the points you made.  He is a human statistics machine and nothing much else . . . .

thebucketMarch 26, 2014

@ThomasBrown You are a one-trick pony with an agenda.

PaulinNH March 21, 2014

@ThomasBrown

Only in Thomas' fevered brain is a #12 seed (NC State) losing by 3 to a #5 a "huge blow-out loss to a Cinderella team". . . .

Truthtyper at 9:47 a.m. Jan. 4, 2014

Thomas Brown = a true genius at cut & paste . . . .

chalkb at 6:03 a.m. Jan. 4, 2014

Oh no ,Thomas "write a book" Brown is starting up.
Boring, boring, boring , boring.....

Buzz-Off at 8:44 p.m. Nov. 21, 2013

Fact, Thomas Brown is off his meds. Does anyone even read his manic rants?

WDE at 9:58 a.m. Nov. 21, 2013

Oh ThomasBrown . . . you have always been a buffoon and I fear your best work is yet to come . . . .

TheOldGuy at 11:21 a.m. Nov. 11, 2013
Sounds like ThomasBrown has a little crush on Aaron Murray the was he keeps up with his stats and life.
Guess ThomasBrown would like to be his girlfriend.

THEBuckeye at 1:05 p.m. Nov. 11, 2013

tom brown,

SHUT UP!!!!

gtcaryd at 7:09 a.m. Nov. 6, 2013
Thomas is calling someone else a bully, thats rich.

Rounder at 8:56 a.m. Nov. 3, 2013

ahhhh Thomas Brown, I see the asylum is missing an inmate this morning.

PaulinNH at 2:45 p.m. Oct. 27, 2013

The problem trying to reason with an insane person (Thomas Brown) is they don't realize they are crazy.

_______________

I have more, ThomAss. Shall we continue?

DawgNole

“ I have no particular animosity toward Bama. More like envy.

My Nole side had hoped to play y'all in the NC game while you were still unbeaten.”

DawgNole September 5th, 2012  5:22 pm

“I’m on a Tech blog because I follow Tech and pull for the Jackets in all games except those with UGA and FSU.”

DawgNole January 4th, 2013 6:13 pm

"Half of me pulled for the Dawgs, half for the Noles–depending on the game situation. Mixed feelings, torn, and still don’t know who I’d pull for if they play again."

DawgNole at 8:00 p.m. Dec. 6, 2013

“True that, TB--then and now.”

DawgNole January 5th, 2013 10:38 pm

_________________________________________________

“You’re the only one who appears to have an issue with that.”

_________________________________________________

Dawg350      3 days ago

“ Dawg nole… you pull for tech...how disturbing. Dude you pull for too many teams in my opinion.“

Swamp Thing September 3rd, 2012 4:54 pm

“DawgNole (which end is the Dawg and which end is the Nole?)”

Florida still can't win a game! 23-23! Lmao

Dawg350

UGA will win it in 2014! Book it!

DawginLex
DawginLex

Florida? Under Muschamp???

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

4-8 AND YOU ARE GOIN FOR A NATIONAL TITLE??

What a maroon!!!!

gtcaryd

I guess ole Tom Brown had to get out of the kitchen.

Dawg350

2 more days till I see coach Richt! The best coach in UGA history baby!

ThomasBrown

What did we do to deserve gator fans running over here to brag about being # 47 won/lost record in the nation current 4-year period ?

GATORS ALLDAY
GATORS ALLDAY

to be honest I rather play Miami Florida State LSU and Alabama every year I think we should roll Georgia off the schedule because they do not contribute to our quest for national championship titles every so often they may be competitive but not on a routine basis so I say I know I'm in the minority .

Dawg350

Thomas Brown is spot on with his post. The man knows CFB. I know that he insulted me..but who hasn't? Lol. I have to give brown his props.

Card

Wow. That joke is older than you and that's saying something.lol.......get real!

gtcaryd

@ThomasBrown Weak as shat again ThomAss! 2 weak azz posts in a row.DawgNole is rolling you Tom.

DiehardDawg
DiehardDawg

Dude, you will never be with a woman thinking or making statements like that!

Dawg350

I bet you would? I would like to take every team off the schedule that leads the series against us as well.. Kind of hard to win a championship when you finish 4-8. Lol.

@GATORS ALLDAY

I'd rather roll Georgie tek off our schedule.  You're our # 1 Rival.  Georgie tek has in their Fight Song : To Hell with Georgia like their daddy used to do, so they claim us as their # 1 Rival. Auburn is up there, too - both ways.  And, South Carolina is up there for us, as is Clemson, and the vols.   Too bad you have zero offense with Will Muschamp recruiting once again for 2015, no offensive stars - if you did, then you would not want to roll us off your schedule, having not beat us since Will Muschamp showed-up 4 years' ago now this 2014 season - another sure loss for you.

No wonder you want to roll us off your schedule, dimwit !

GeoffDawg
GeoffDawg

Huh?  Try commas and punctuation.

@Dawg350

He'll make you regret it, 350, just as he did before.

gtcaryd

@Dawg350 He did a little more than insult you sport, but you probably like being his whipping boy.

@Dawg350

Well I never heard it before. Must be younger than me.

gtcaryd

@Dawg350 How about you came out upside down and everybody thought you had 1 eye.

gtcaryd

@Dawg350 How about he turned you over and he said "We have twins".

Dawg350

You watch pathetic mouth!

gtcaryd

@ThomasBrown I know i will regret asking this but, what's your feelings about Ole Ball Coach? You know he whooped yall like yellow yard dawgs.

ThomasBrown

@GeoffDawg    Florida has not beat anyone after Tim Tebow GPOE left after 2009 : Miami of Florida, FSU, LSU, Alabama or Georgia - or Auburn or Louisville or South Carolina or Mississippi State - or even Georgia Southern University.

Can't beat their way out of a wet paper bag after 2009, # 47 won/lost record in the nation, so they run onto this blog today to announce they quit playing us - want out.

Duh.

Dawg nole

Maybe so......but I liked his post to that troll gators all day. He was the only dawg fan that helped me run that punk out of the building,

Card

Whatever. No worse than anybody else. All I'm saying is that his post are spot on. Nothing more or less.

DIT
DIT

@DawgNole @Dawg350 - How about his parent had to put a bone around his neck just to get the dog to play with him.

card

How you break your own fingers so can type no more for a while? You need a break.

@ThomasBrown

"who's," ThomAss (contraction for "who has")--not "whose." Duh! And you pretend to know grammar while preaching to other posters about their grammatical shortcomings. Miserable hypocrite.

DawgGoneIt
DawgGoneIt

@gtcaryd It was 2008 and you got lucky  that game. If not for a missed tackle by Reshad Jones Richt would be a perfect 13-0 vs. the Bugs from Tekkk

gtcaryd

@ThomasBrown Not exactly one of your greatest post ThomAss, but nobody is on their game everyday. I was simply wanting your opinion of CSS. Have you ever been to anger management classes, might help.

ThomasBrown

GTcaryAZZd, sir, waah we've lost 12 of 13 against Mark Richt currently and counting but waah I'm on blog about UGA today to waah point out some team whose lost to UGA 3 years in a row and counting to waah whine about way back when their coach, who has a losing record the current 9-years vs UGA too, way back when did waah what we never can do beating UGA waah.

GTcaryAZZd,

SoS whooped us like yellow yard dawgs ?  He's 4-5 against us at South Carolina, pardon me - including us beating him AGAIN last season when he was # 4 AP Poll for last season.  We beat LSU last year too, the # 14 team.  Georgie tek fans need to worry about beating us, not telling us who beat us.

@GeoffDawg

Actually, it's not beyond the norm for stupidity in this case; he is a gator, after all--and obviously a stupid one--which explains a lot.

@GeoffDawg

Correct.  And, that is the beauty of this new s/w AJ-C bought, that you can reply directly to it, too.

GeoffDawg
GeoffDawg

I normally don't feel compelled to respond to obvious idiots but sometimes, statements are so beyond the norm for stupidity, you're obligated for the good of humanity.

@Dawg350

Nothing wrong with liking a post--although gatorsallday is so incompetent that his asinine babbling doesn't even merit a response. I'm simply giving you a heads-up that TB will make you regret engaging him in any manner on a blog, just as he did before. You should know by now that he's a hate-filled and deeply disturbed individual. Take a look at the list of "reactions" to his behavior that I posted from a few others on the blog. And although it's only a small sample, it should tell you all you need to know about him. He, like gatorsallday, is not worth your time.

DawgNole

@ThomasBrown: "My Daddy said, don't dish it out GTcaryAZZd, unless you can take it son."

So your dad told GTcaryAZZd not to dish it out unless he could take it?

Were you aware of that, GTcaryAZZd?

ThomasBrown

My Daddy said, don't dish it out GTcaryAZZd, unless you can take it son.

My Mom said, if you can't take the heat, get out of kitchen.

I wrote a long by my standard reply to Dawg350 which Chip Towers, although he hasn't worked since Thursday removed.

Maybe Dawg350 read it ?

The bottom line is that Dawg350 in Greenville calls them like he sees them.

And, you sir, spend your days reading his and my posts.

And, anyway GTcaryAZZd, you said yourself in the last 24 hours that you agree with me about quarterbacks at UGA too.

gtcaryd

@Dawg350 Like i have said before, if your going to throw some shat you had better be ready to catch some too.

Card

No smart AZZ....I'm talking about the post he has posted this morning.

Trackbacks

1. […] 5. Mark Bradley on Georgia quarterback Hutson Mason’s performance: “He missed on some deep throws, but he hit on enough of them to kindle hope…(that he could) lead the Bulldogs to an SEC title as a first-year starter.” […]