Posted: 3:21 pm Wednesday, February 5th, 2014
By Mark Bradley
ATHENS — Mark Richt, who coaches Georgia, will turn 54 in two weeks. He’s not yet at the age where recruits are asking if he’ll be around for all four (or five) of their collegiate seasons. He believes there’s a reason.
“I look so young,” Richt said Wednesday, speaking on Signing Day. “If it weren’t for these extra 40 pounds I’m carrying, I could pass for 40.”
Then this, smiling: “Coach (Bobby) Bowden went until he was 80. So I’ve got another 27 years.”
Then this, still smiling: “I’m young compared to a lot of head coaches. Some guys coach deep into their 60′s and 70′s.”
Then this: “I’ve got a long way to go.”
Earlier in the day, Richt told a group of Georgia fans he feels more sprightly than ever. Offensive coordinator Mike Bobo, who has worked alongside Richt since 2001, said: “I agree with what he said. He’s more energized than he’s ever been. It hadn’t crossed my mind that he might ever step down.”
From myajc.com, our premium site: Class of 2014 could help Richt win the one thing he hasn’t.
Further reading: UGA’s Dream Team has mostly lived up to its hype.
And now a note from our editor:
Come back often today as the AJC will be your Signing Day Central. No matter the platform or device you prefer, our team will have your team covered in depth.
Go to ajc.com to get four important features:
- We want to display your photos documenting your athlete’s signing. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll have photo galleries showing the big day.
- AJC recruiting expert Michael Carvell provides the latest news and a running analysis of the day.
- You can tap into our live updates on our new Current ATL page throughout the day and find commentary from other news sources, the schools involved and updates on anyone who matters on National Signing Day in one-stop shopping for information. You can use #SigningDay or #NationalSigningDay to follow or be part of the conversation.
- We’ll offer a new feature, a region-by-region signing list, that will be updated continuously.
Go to myajc.com to get special premium features:
- You’ll get minute-by-minute updates from our beat writers on site at Georgia, Georgia State and Georgia Tech beginning at 7 a.m., and in the afternoon the same update on the first-ever signing class for Kennesaw State as Vince Dooley visits with new coach Brian Bohannon on the KSU campus.
- You can get deeper insight into the signings for Georgia and Georgia Tech with a complete list of inside information for each player.
- Each beat writer also will provide special video coverage of the day on campus.
- Our photo coverage extends to our premium site as well with multiple galleries.